Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Sir I want to buy these shoes..."

I heard that song for the first time this season on my way home tonight and it always tugs on my heart. Not because it makes me sad, but because it reminds me what the season is truly about. Working in retail, I get to see small things and large things that people do for each other, however I also get to see the opposite end of things. People can be so petty....

Anyway...lets go back a few days!

Thanksgiving!
This year it was quite different than what I've been used to. Being in Oregon I have no family near by, there was no big dinner, but all in all, it wasn't bad. Jasmine and Nick went to their grandma's for a family gathering which left Chris and me to our own devices. The day before, I had suggested that we go to Shari's, a restaurant chain out here thats open 24/7. Their motto.." Year round, we never shut down." Anyway... I had the day off so we slept in, which was wonderful, and went to eat around 5. I was a little worried that it would be busy, but as we pulled into the parking lot there was just a few cars. We went in and were greeted warmly and sat by the manager who also promptly brought out our drinks. We were oo-ing and ah-ing over the menu, everything looked amazing! But, going traditional, we both got the Turkey Dinner... turkey, gravy, mixed veggies, sweet potatoes, mashed red skin potatoes, a large piece of corn bread and a side of cranberry sauce. And to top it off... we had soup to start, and pie for dessert. Everything, including the waitstaff, was amazing! But the thing that most impressed, but didn't surprise me really, was the amount of fun that Chris and I had just being together. We both missed our family and friends greatly, but for this year, just being with each other was enough. God has truly blessed me.

So today... was Black Friday... and I survived! I really did... It was a long day. 1-11pm for me, most of it spent at the service desk, save for the last 3 hours. But over all it was ok. Most everyone was in good spirits, associates included. And! I had home made mac and cheese waiting for me that Lindsay brought in. It was delicious. I came home today, made a couple cups of hot chocolate and put marshmallow fluff on the top and we shared the mac n cheese. Mmmm.

And to brag a bit more.. hehe, ok not brag, I'm just so thankful and blessed that he is the way he is. The other day we decided that the bed being under the leaking window was a bad idea. I know, who'da thunk it, right? So we decided to shift the bed to the opposite wall and such, all with just 45 minutes before I needed to leave for work. We were successful, but the bed was left unmade and piled with stuff. I expected to find it that way when I arrived home but, being the amazing guy he is, the room was fully put back together, and bed completely made! All 50 pounds of covers... hehe. We stay plenty warm now... but I'm still slightly in shock that I didn't have to ask, I didn't say a word. He just.. did. To know beyond the shadow of a doubt that he would hand me the world if it was his to give. *sigh* I love him...

1 comment: